A clinical or medical laboratory is a facility in which tests are conducted on samples from clinical patients to get data about the health status of a person to assist in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Clinical Medical laboratories are an example of applied science, in contrast to research laboratories that focus on fundamental science, such as that found in a few educational institutions. Medical Laboratory Salary in the USA is one of the best salary schemes you can find anywhere around the world.
The size of medical laboratories varies and complexity, which means they offer a variety of test services. The most comprehensive services are found in acute care hospitals and medical centers in which 70% of medical decisions are based on laboratory results. Doctors’ offices and clinics, along with skilled nursing facilities and long-term care facilities may have labs that offer more basic test services. Medical laboratories that are commercially owned operate as separate businesses and provide tests that are normally not offered in other settings because of small test volumes or the complexity of tests.
Medical Laboratory Job Description In USA
The medical laboratory technician works in hospitals as well as private laboratories (clinical or research) or in physician office laboratories. When they reach the stage of career advancement at the age of 18, the MLT is able to conduct routine laboratory tests for clinical use in hematology, chemistry microbiology, immunology, and coagulation. The MLT will have acquired basic laboratory knowledge that is needed for entry-level positions in these and other new areas of laboratory, including molecular diagnostics. The duties of an MLT include:
- The sample collection process and handling
- Everyday maintenance of instruments and quality control
- Test samples
- Data collection and interpretation
- The maintenance of accurate records as well as the reporting of the data
- Understanding the critical value
The scope of the tests carried out can be ranging from point-of-care testing to advanced testing which covers all major areas within the laboratory. The MLT will perform a variety of functions in the area of pre-analytical analytical, and post-analytical procedures. Additionally to this, the MLT will be responsible for training, processing information, and quality control in the laboratory.
The ability to communicate with people, the capacity to make a calm and rational judgement, and a display of dedication toward the person receiving treatment are crucial characteristics. Communication skills are essential to facilitate consultation between other personnel on the medical team, technical service issues as well as patient education. Laboratory professionals must exhibit moral and ethical behavior which are required in order to safeguard the confidentiality of information about patients and to gain the trust of the patient, their professional colleagues, and the general public.
Medical Laboratory Requirements in the US
Before a person can start working as a medical laboratory scientist, they could opt to get accreditation by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP), which certifies an individual as a medical laboratory scientist. From January 2022, ASCP offers six pathways to acceptance:
- Route 1. An applicant has earned a bachelor’s diploma in the medical laboratory scientist program recognized with NAACLS. National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
- Route 2 This applicant has been certified Medical Laboratory Technician, holds completed a bachelor’s degree at an accredited college and has two years of acceptable full-time lab experience within an appropriate area.
- Route 3 This applicant has been certified as an assistant in clinical labs and holds a bachelor’s level degree, and 4 years of work experience in the area.
- Route 4 The applicant holds a Bachelor’s Degree and has five years of work experience.
- Route 5: Applicant holds current medical technician (MT)/medical laboratory science (MLS) certification through the ASCP, a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university, and five years of full-time clinical experience.
- Route 6: Applicant has completed a 50-week US military medical laboratory training course in the past ten years, holds a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university, and has one year of full-time clinical experience.
Where Can Medical Laboratory Work?
Medical laboratory scientists are employed in clinics, hospitals, and forensic or public health labs along with pharmaceutical companies biotechnology firms, or veterinary clinics. They also work in research institutes. Based on the location the hours of work can vary, but generally, laboratories are operational all day long and seven days per week. This gives flexibility in the scheduling.
Medical laboratory scientists are required to spend a lot of their time standing and analyzing test results within the laboratory.
Being an expert in medical labs
Medical lab scientists who are successful are effective communicators who have excellent intellect and a keen interest in technology and science. Eye-hand coordination, dexterity, and visual acuity are crucial to successfully carrying out and evaluating tests.
People who are passionate about research and science, but who prefer not to have any interactions with patients would be ideal for the career of a medical laboratory scientist.
Higher education requirements
When you have a high school diploma (or similar) Most students pursue an amount of higher education and instruction to be able to work as medical laboratory scientists.
The requirements for higher education for jobs as medical laboratory scientists are:
- Earning a bachelor’s in medical laboratory science. A bachelor’s degree in health or science-related field (e.g. microbiology or chemistry) could be thought of as.
- Complete a clinical laboratory training program or internship in the hospital and as part of an educational program
- National certification for medical technician (MT) or Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) and the medical laboratory scientist (MLS)
- Experience in an environment of health care
Medical Laboratory Certification In the US
Licensing and certification
Many organizations require laboratory technicians to get accreditation through an accrediting organization like the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC). If you pass the credentialing examination medical laboratory specialists (MLS) are able to practice with the certification of MLS(ASCP)CM.
State-specific licensure may also be required by the state.
Medical Laboratory Scientist Qualification In America
Medical laboratory scientists should possess certain qualities that are essential to be successful in this field. It is the Mayo Clinic notes the following as the most important personal traits that an aspirant medical laboratory scientist must possess:
- Aptitude to basic sciences, laboratory instruments, and computers A medical laboratory scientist is required to use various tools and technologies and will use their understanding of the sciences to conduct tests in a correct manner.
- Ability to complete tasks efficiently and swiftly Tasks should be accomplished efficiently and properly within a set time frame.
- The ability to be precise, thorough and self-sufficient Medical laboratory scientists are often under minimal supervision and must be precise and precise in their work to deliver accurate results.
- Stability of emotions Although medical laboratory scientists handle patients’ personal data They must be emotionally stable during their job.
- ability to critically think and solve problems The answers to urgent questions might not be immediately apparent. In a medical laboratory, scientists must be able to analyze the issue and find an answer based on facts.
- ability to compose effectively and also communicate verbally Medical laboratory scientists are called upon to write reports of their research findings, and they often provide information to doctors orally. This is why they need to have great communication skills, both in writing and verbal.
There are just a few of the skills that are required by successful medical laboratory scientists. Others could be essential in the course of their work.
Medical Laboratory Salary In The USA
The average annual salary for an Medical LAB Scientist in the United States is $76,453 a year.
In case you require an easy calculation of your salary, this is roughly $36.76 per hour. This is equivalent to $1,470/week or $6,371 per month.
Although applyforajob.org is observing annual salary that can reach $112,500 or less than $41,000 The majority of Medical LAB Scientist salaries currently vary from five thousand dollars (25th percentile) to $98,000 (75th percentile) with the top-earning individuals (90th percentile) receiving $110,500 a year all across all of the United States. The pay range for an Medical LAB Scientist varies greatly (by up to $41,500) this suggests that there are many opportunities to advance and increase compensation based on level of expertise as well as location and expertise.
Based on the latest post-job ad activity on applyforajob.org Based on recent job postings on applyforajob.org, it appears that the Medical LAB Scientist job market in both Lagos, NG and throughout the entire state of not as active as a small number of companies are hiring. The average salary for a Medical LAB Scientist in your region earns on average $76,453 per year. This is similar to the average national salary of $76,453. is ranked as the top one of 50 states in the nation in terms of Medical LAB Scientist salaries.
To calculate the most accurate annual salary to be able to estimate the most accurate annual salary range for Medical LAB Scientist jobs, applyforajob.org continually searches its database of millions of job openings that have been published locally across America.
Senior Medical Laboratory Salary In The USA
The average annual salary for an experienced Senior Medical Laboratory Salary In The USA is $77,172 a year.
In case you require an easy calculator for your salary it will be roughly $37.10 per hour. This is equivalent to $1,484/week, or $6,431 per month.
Although applyforajob.org has seen annual salaries up to $153,000 and at as little as $26,500. However, most Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist salaries vary from 50,500 (25th percentile) to $93,500 (75th percentile). This is with the highest earners (90th percentile) earning $126,000 per year across all across the USA. The pay range for Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist varies greatly (up to $43,000). Also suggests that there could be numerous opportunities for advancement and higher pay dependent on the level of skill location.
Based on the latest jobs posted on applyforajob.org, there is a Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist job market in Lagos, NG. And throughout the entire state not particularly active, as only a few firms are currently hiring. An experienced senior Medical Laboratory Scientist from your area earns an average of $76,576 annually. Which is $596 (1 percent) lower than the average national income of $77.172. ranks as the top state of all 50 states across the country with regard to Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist salaries.
To determine the most precise annual wage range to be used for Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist jobs, applyforajob.org continuously scans its database of millions of current jobs posted locally in America.
Entry Medical Laboratory Scientist Salary
The median annual wage for an entry-level Clinical Laboratory Scientist working in the United States is $72,992 a year.
If you’re in need of an easy calculator for your salary it will be around $35.09 per hour. This is equivalent to $1,403/week or $6,082 per month.
Although applyforajob.org has seen annual salaries that can reach $145,000 or just $24,000 however, the majority of entry-level clinical Laboratory Scientists’ salaries are currently from the $41,000 mark (25th percentile) to $102,500 (75th percentile) with the top-earning employees (90th percentile) earning $127,500 per year all across the United States. The median pay for an Entry-Level Clinical Laboratory Scientist is extremely varied (by up to $61,500) and suggests that there are many possibilities to advance and earn more depending on the level of skill as well as location and expertise.
Based on the latest job posting activity on applyforajob.org According to recent job postings on applyforajob.org, the Entry-level Clinical Laboratory Scientist job market around Lagos, NG, and throughout the entire state of not particularly active, as only a few firms are currently hiring. An Entry Level Clinical Laboratory Scientist working in your region earns on average $73,278 annually, which is $286 (0 percent) higher than the average national salary of $72,992. is the top-ranked state of all 50 states in the country for Entry-Level Clinical Laboratory Scientist wages.
To calculate the most precise annual salary in the field of Entry Level Clinical Laboratory Scientist positions, applyforajob.org continuously scans its database of millions of current jobs posted locally in America.
Lastly, ensure you visit the Moden News homepage and also check out our Salary category, for more essential information.