Ghana’s military is the highest-ranking armed force in the country. They are the highest-funded military organization in Ghana. During the Gold Coast period, Ghana was ruled by the Royal West African Frontier Force, which merged into the Ghanaian Army in 1959, two years after Ghana gained independence. Together, the Ghanaian Air Force, Ghanaian Navy, and Ghanaian Army comprise the Ghanaian Armed Forces (GAF). The Ghanaian Ministry of Defense and the Central Defense Headquarters supervise the Ghanaian Armed Forces.
Accra, the Federal capital of Ghana, is home to both Ghana’s Ministry of Defense and Central Defense Headquarters. We shall be having a series of discussions bordering on, Ghana army ranks and salary army ranks in Ghana low to high Ghana army ranks.
Ranks in Ghana Army | Ghana Army Ranks and Salary
A good number of times we get questions like how much does the Ghana army pay WASCCE recruits? Ranks in Ghana Army are greatly influenced by many things. Level of education, length of service, skill sets, and connections to highly placed officers in the corridors of power.
Ghana Army officer salaries and ranks have been a major topic over the past few months. This is because of the number of applications received from people interested in joining the highest-ranking military force in Ghana. With as low as a WAEC certificate you can apply for Ghana Army recruitment. However, it is important you look up the Ghana army forces’ monthly salary. Especially, Ghana army salary 2023 for WASSCE holders. This will at least give you an insight into the basic salary you will earn as a WAEC holder.
How Much is Ghana Army Salary
The Ministry of Defense and central Defense headquarters are the regulatory bodies that handle the affairs of the Ghana Army. They are equally in charge of the salary structure of the armed forces. Promotion, dismissal, and other rewards and disciplinary actions are also overseen by the Defense Headquarters.
The Ghana Army’s monthly salary is determined by the Single Salary Structure (SSS) developed in 2010. Its implementation then saw an increase in the salary of the Ghanaian Army as well as other military groups concerned. Additionally, the salary is solely based on Army ranks in Ghana.
The higher the rank, the higher the Ghana Army Officer’s salary while the lower the Ghana army ranks the lower the salary. This continues on and on. Unconfirmed information reaching us to those asking how much does Ghana army pays WASSCE recruit. is that the least officer in the Ghana Army ranks earns GHC 1000.
Furthermore, we equally wish to state that the above-mentioned Ghana army officer’s monthly salary is not inclusive of housing, allowances, and other incentives. Ghana Army Ranks and Salary go hand in hand.
The Structure of the Ghana Army Ranks
Ghana Army like we said earlier is the type that works with ranks and structures. These ranks are highly influenced by a lot of things that we mentioned earlier. In Ghana Army, we have officers and enlisted officers. For clarity, we have given a brief description of them below.
The Officers: Generally, officers are the top guns in the Ghana Army. They are managers tasked with leading and training enlisted soldiers. Officers are the main influencers and planners of the Ghana Army. They are the ones that make the key decisions and wield very high influence in the affairs of Ghana’s military force. The influence of demotion or promotion of an officer as well as dismissal.
The Enlisted Officers: Enlisted officers are a total general contrast to the officer mentioned earlier. The enlisted officers are majorly those the got recruited with just WAEC or High School certificates. The enlisted officers in the Ghana Army rank answer to the officers. They do most of the fieldwork and are not regularly seen in the chain of command.
Army Ranks in Ghana
According to Ghanaian Army regulations, there are 10 ranks for officers. The General is the highest-ranking officer, while the Second Lieutenant is the lowest. Below is the list of the Ghana Army Officer’s ranks in descending order. The lowest ranking officers are mainly those that entered the army service with a minimum WAEC of high school certificate.
The highest-ranking officers are made up of main graduates or those that graduated from the defense academy. They are placed high based on their skill sets and educational certificates.
- General – 5 Stars (Highest Officer Rank)
- Lieutenant – 4 Stars
- Brigadier General – 2 Stars.
- Colonel – 1 Star
- Lieutenant Colonel
- Second Lieutenant (Lowest Officer Rank)
Enlisted Officer Ranks in Ghana Army
In the Ghanaian Army, enlisted officers hold nine ranks. Below is the list of Enlisted Officers who Rank in the Ghana Army in descending order. The enlisted officers like we mentioned earlier are unskilled applicants, especially those that joined the military with WASSCE or Senior high school certificates.
- Chief warrant officer (Highest Rank)
- Warrant officer class I.
- Warrant officer class II.
- Staff sergeant.
- Recruit – (Lowest Rank
Ghana Army Recruitment Requirement
The entry requirements for officers differ from enlisted officers. Therefore, for clarity, we shall list the recruitment requirements separately.
- Must be a Ghanaian citizen.
- Must have good character.
- Not be less than 20 years and not more than 25 years of age.
- Evidence of medical fitness according to the standards of the Ghana Armed Force.
- Must not be bonded.
- Only singles can apply. Married applicants would be disqualified.
- The minimum height for male candidates is 1.68 meters (5 feet 6 inches) and for female candidates is 1.57 meters (5 feet 2 inches).
- Candidates will need at least 6 credits in either the WASSCE or BECE, one of which must be an English credit and one must be a mathematics credit.
Enlisted Army Officers
- The applicant must be a Ghanaian citizen with excellent character.
- Must not be less than 20 years and not more than 30 years of age at the time of application.
- The applicant must be medically fit by the Ghana Armed Forces.
- A marriage may be optional.
- Applicants must not be bonded.
- Applicants must be at least 1.68m (5ft 6inches) tall for men and 1.57m (5ft 2inches) tall for women.
- They must also have 6 credits in WASSCE or BECE, including a credit in English and a pass in mathematics.
How to Apply for Ghana Army Recruitment
Having talked about Ghana Army salary 2023 and provided answers to questions like how much does Ghana army pay WASCCE recruits? we shall now provide you with details on how to apply for Ghana Army recruitment. The outline below will be enough to show you how best to go about the recruitment process to join Ghana Army.
- A Recruit or a Cadet can join the Ghana Armed Forces by acquiring a scratch card at Two hundred Ghana Cedis (GHC 200.00) by using USSD CODE 447160# or from designated Post Offices.
- Scratch gently to reveal the pin code. The card can be used three times until a record is established.
- Go to https://www.gafrecruitment.mil.gh/ and read the entry requirements thoroughly.
- Click on the Apply Now button to proceed to the application verification page.
- Enter your card serial number and pin code and select your preferred branch of service.
- There are 3 pages on which you will need to present some specified details:
- Page a. Choose your desired position and provide all other required information.
- Page b. Upload a scanned copy of your passport-sized photo (200 x 180 pixels), enter a valid email address, and add a resume.
- Input your WASSCE/SSCE Index number, your WASSCE/SSCE results slip serial number, and select a tertiary institution from the list. Enter your graduation GPA/CWA and provide all other important information. Only scanned copies of documents will be uploaded
- You will see a summary of the data provided after clicking on the preview button. Please read through this carefully and click on the back button if any changes need to be made. Click on the submit button and you will receive a text message and email immediately.
- If you are shortlisted, you will be required to present the generated report. Additionally, if you lose the final report, please go back to the recruitment portal and click the Check Details tab, enter the unique identification number you received, then click Submit.
Furthermore, there is other information you should know concerning getting into Ghana Military Force. Especially as it concerns recruitment scammers. The Ghana Armed Forces have a code of conduct that directs all candidates to follow instructions given by GHQ (Personnel Administration). The Ghana Armed Forces give everyone the same opportunity of getting accepted into the force. There are no middlemen authorized by the military and the advertised vacancies are not for sale.
Anyone found posing as an agent or middleman will be prosecuted, including anyone who deals with such individuals. Anyone who presents false documents will also be arrested and prosecuted.
For subsequent information on Ghana Army Salary 2023/2024, recruitment, and ranks, subscribe to our newsletter here at Moden News.