A work permit is required to study in Canada. Your work permit is valid for one year. This will pay your living expenses and help you acclimate to Canadian life. International students can apply for various work permits depending on their field of study and country of origin. The type you need depends on your workplace.
Unless you’re studying a trade, you’ll require an academic work permit. These are good for two years and allow full-time work. Some other work permits are for school teachers or technology interns. If you need to work while studying in Canada, keep reading to learn about additional options for international students.
What is a Work Permit in Canada?
A work permit in Canada is a type of employment authorization that allows you to legally work in Canada. Your work permit will usually be tied to your student visa. Work permits can be divided into two types:
Part-time work permit: Usually valid for students in full-time studies.
Full-time work permit: Valid for students who need to work while studying or graduating.
Work permits are issued based on your ability to prove that you can legally work in Canada. You will need to show that you have enough funds to support yourself and that you have a job offer that is valid and appropriate.
Types of Work Permits for International Students in Canada
There are several works permits that you can apply for while studying in Canada. Before you apply, make sure you research which work permit is right for your program and field of study.
Job classification: This is how you classify yourself in relation to your workplace. You can classify yourself as either an “employee,” “independent contractor,” or “subcontractor.”
Casual Work Permit: Available for students who need to work to fund their studies but don’t have a full-time job offer.
Part-Time Work Permit: For students who need to work part-time.
Intern Work Permit: For students doing research or internships.
Teaching Work Permit: For students who want to teach.
Technology Work Permit: For internships in fields such as software development and technology support.
How to Apply for a Work Permit as an International Student in Canada
To apply for a work permit, you’ll need to complete the following steps:
Have your employer sponsor your work permit. You will then need to apply for your work permit with the Canadian government. You can apply online or by mail.
Once your work permit is approved, apply for your study permit. If you’re in Canada with a study permit, you can apply for your work permit at this time.
Once you have your work permit, you can apply for your Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) if you plan on traveling outside of Canada for more than six months.
To start your work permit application, simply proceed to www.canada.ca.
Tips for Applying for a Work Permit
- Have a Full-Time Job Offer: If you’re applying for a work permit, make sure you have a full-time job offer from a Canadian employer.
- Have Enough Funds: Make sure you have enough funds in your Canadian bank account to pay for your bills and living expenses.
- Start a Canadian Bank Account: All work permit applicants are asked to open a Canadian bank account. This will allow you to transfer money into your account and pay for everyday expenses such as groceries.
- Get a Canadian Credit Card: If you want to buy everyday items, you’ll want to get a Canadian credit card. This will allow you to make purchases online, in-store, or at gas stations across the country.
- Register for Direct Deposit: If you want to set up a direct deposit into your Canadian bank account, you need to register for it.
Work permits are a necessary step for international students in Canada looking to work while studying or after graduation. However, you can apply for a different type of work visa depending on your field of study and country of origin.
There are many types of work permits available for international students in Canada. It’s a good idea to research your options and find the one that’s best for you.
- List of Requirements to Study in Canada
- Best Way To Migrate To Canada as a Lawyer
- What is NZeTA | Application and Status Checking
Lastly, visit the Moden News homepage, for more essential details. And also use the comment section, to share your thoughts.